Thursday, June 3, 2010

An Eventful Birth

On the 18th of February in 2009 my soon to be wife and I were deciding on a day for me to fly back down to southern California for my daughter’s birth .We had already bought a ticket for the 25th but we felt we needed to see each other sooner. So we switched it for the 22nd and I proceeded with my week. The due date for the birth was supposed to be the 28th, and as the date got closer we yearned for each other more and more and so we bumped up the day for my flight.

As I stepped off the plan and continued to baggage claim I found my love at the bottom of the escalator , beauty enamored like clear skies. As I held her in my arms we began to have a very intimate make-out session, two lovers reunited in the middle of Ontario Airport. Feeling embarrassed after are lips parted April and I decided to rush away from the judgmental stares to her mother’s house. April and I spent some time on her bed laughing and generally enjoying looking at each other until we slept.

All of the sudden in the middle of the night April started to shake and cry with pain for five minutes then just as suddenly it stopped. Thinking it was nothing to worry about we slept again. Two hours passed then a jolt of pain hit her again. We waited twenty minutes before heading to the hospital. I almost had to carry her in as if her ability to walk had been eliminated.

As I hasted through the many papers they gave us before we got care, April was crooning in pain next to me. Finally, we made our way into a room and the nurse told April to strip and put a gown on. I was worried that April was in more pain than she was letting on. After she had been checked out we quick-stepped to another room where the doctor came in and reviewed her situation, down there. He looked up and said
, “ um you're five centimeters dilated. “
I replied
,"and that means, what? " ,
the most offended an scared expression came across April's face as he said
, “ you're like one centimeter from doing the entire birth without any drug aid."
I tried lightening the mood by saying
, " well you better getty up on those drugs then huh."
As the nurses stammered in, hooking up needles putting a tube the size of my thump into my love's back I felt a strong urge to hurt and defend, until April out of nowhere said
, “ I feel so heavy."
I choked a laugh as she proceed speaking about how high she felt as everyone else in the room snickered.

Out of nowhere I thought, ow my god I have no camera. So I fought my way through the labyrinth that is the hospital making a full one mile circle around to three different gas stations all sold out of disposables. As I ran to my last ditch effort the fourth gas station. I stepped in to the store thinking all the while, I’m screwed but the gods blessed me this day and there was one knock-off brand left. I held my side as I forced my legs to a swift pass, hiking back to that maze that is the hospital realizing I’d been gone too long. Luckily I came in the room about fifteen minutes before the doctor wanted to push. So I decided to use up that time having April pose fer a picture with two thumbs up high as a kite. Right after the doctor and nurses stormed in an lift the gown without warning.

I’ll say this, my wife doesn’t like anyone looking at her area, so two nurses and a doctor staring is hard for her but when the doctor called eight more nurses into the room because the baby's heart rate was dropping from the drugs, she began to panic . I said they have to forcibly take out our daughter Hazel because she was dying. I held April's hand as we dealt with our fear. It took about two minutes for April to push and get Hazel out. The doctor told me to cut the umbilical cord. I felt as if I would be cutting my wife’s fingers. Blood, veins, different colored food was all visible on the out side of this gore tunnel. I cut it so slowly from fear, the doctor looked at me and said
, “what are you doing hurry up and cut it,”
I finished an got to hold my daughter for the first time still slimy before they wiped her off as she looked at me I thought
, "I would best anything to have you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment